MTM Privacy Statement – Summary
This summary of the MTM Privacy Statement applies to Personal Information (as defined below) collected by or on behalf of Mazda Toyota Manufacturing, U.S.A., Inc. (“MTM,” “us,” or “our”). Some of our products and services may have additional privacy statements that apply. Where product- or service-specific privacy statements conflict with this Privacy Statement, those privacy statements shall govern.
- We collect Personal Information that you provide, which may include your name, mailing address, email address, phone number, and certain demographic information. We may collect Personal Information about you from third parties, including our affiliates and dealers.
- We collect and store “usage information” about how you use our technology platforms (including, without limitation, our MTM-owned and branded websites, web pages, interactive features, applications, and mobile applications that link to this Privacy Statement (“Platforms”), such as the name of your Internet service provider, the browser and type of machine you are using, the IP address and the Web site that referred you to us and the pages you visit to help manage and enhance the Platforms.
Uses and Sharing
- We use Personal Information to provide you with services or information you request, such as information alerts, promotions and mailed brochures.
- We also collect and use Personal Information when you request to participate in promotional activities such as sweepstakes, contests, games, special events, blogs and chats.
- We share Personal Information with our service providers and business partners to assist us in fulfilling your requests and providing features and services for the Platforms.
- We also share Personal Information with companies affiliated with MTM and our authorized dealers and their holding companies, dealer advertising associations and distributors for their own use.
- We, Web publishers, and other Web sites on which we advertise may target advertisements for products and services in which you might be interested based on your visits to both the Platforms and other Web sites.
- Children’s Privacy. MTM does not seek information from children under the age of 13.
- Phishing Scams. MTM will never ask you to update your Personal Information through email.
- Acceptance. By using the Platforms, you signify your acceptance of this Privacy Statement.
Your Choices and Access
- You have the right to have a copy of the Personal Information you provide to MTM.
- You have the right to correct or update your Personal Information.
- You may instruct MTM to remove you from our programs you have subscribed to by using the unsubscribe link provided in our email programs or by contacting us.
How to Contact Us
To contact us with a question call us at 256-285-5000 or mail your inquiry to:
Mazda Toyota Manufacturing, U.S.A., Inc.
9000 Greenbrier Parkway NW
Madison, AL 35756
MTM Privacy Statement
MTM is committed to maintaining your confidence and trust as it relates to the privacy of your Personal Information (as defined below). Please read below and learn how we collect, protect, share and use your Personal Information including information we collect as part of our technology Platforms (including, without limitation, our Mazda, Toyota and Lexus branded websites, web pages, interactive features, applications, and mobile applications that link to this Privacy Statement), offline, and from third parties.
United States Only. This Privacy Statement describes our practices with respect to Personal Information collected regarding individuals in the United States. If you are located in another country, please review the applicable MTM privacy statement for your country.
This Privacy Statement also does not apply to the data practices of any MTM, Mazda, Toyota, Lexus, or Scion dealers; local dealer associations; private distributors; Mazda, Toyota or Lexus Financial Services; or Mazda, Toyota or Lexus Insurance Management Solutions. If you wish to learn about the privacy practices of these entities, please visit their respective privacy statements.
1. INFORMATION WE COLLECT.
We may collect certain types of Personal Information (i.e., information that can be used to identify you as an individual, such as your name, email, telephone number, home address, demographic information (such as Zip Code, age), or payment information (such as account or credit card number)) about you in a variety of ways, depending on your interactions with us, as described further below. We may also collect information from third parties, such as dealers, as described further below.
- Contact and Demographic Information: Contact Information includes information that may be used to contact you or identify you. Examples include your name, address, phone number, email address, owner account information, online identifier, user ID, demographic information (such as Zip Code and age), and social media IDs.
- Interaction and Feedback Data: Interaction Data includes information regarding your interactions with MTM via telephone, email, chat, text and/or postal mail. Examples include comments and feedback that you provide to us (including customer testimonials); information collected in connection with your participation in sweepstakes, contests, games, special events, promotions, blogs and chats, and surveys (“Programs”); and call center records and screen, audio and/or video recordings of such interactions.
- Online Activity Data: Online Activity Data includes information regarding your online interactions with MTM’s Platforms and other websites, where applicable. Examples include your browsing history on MTM’s Platforms, information collected from MTM’s cookies, IP addresses, and publicly available social media information (such as publicly available information that you post on social media sites).
- Payment Information: Payment Information includes payment-related information in connection with your purchase of products and/or services from MTM. Examples include your credit card number or payment platform number.
- Research Data: Research data includes data collected by MTM related to MTM’s consumer and product research. Examples include your responses to surveys, and information you provide as part of a focus group.
- Legal Activity Data: Legal Activity Data includes information collected in connection with legal claims. Examples include information relating to disputes, claims, reimbursements and recalls.
2. HOW WE COLLECT INFORMATION
We may collect Personal Information about you in a variety of ways, depending on your interaction with us or certain third parties. We may also supplement the information we collect about you directly and through our Platforms with information that we receive from third parties.
- Directly from You: We may collect Personal Information directly from you. We may also collect Personal Information from you when you submit comments to us or participate in programs. You may also provide us with written, audio or video feedback or testimonials that contain Personal Information.
- Publicly Available Sources: We may collect Personal Information from publicly available sources. For example, MTM utilizes third-party social media management services to collect and analyze publicly available information on various social media sites.
- From Other Individuals: We may also collect Personal Information from other individuals. For example, some features on the Platforms may permit users to submit information about other people. If you wish to invite your friends to participate in a program offered through the Platforms or forward particular content from the Platforms to your friends, you will be asked to submit your friends’ email addresses. Our use, sharing and protection of the other person’s information will also be subject to the terms of the applicable program and this Privacy Statement.
- From Third Parties: We may also collect Personal Information from third parties, including our affiliates, our business partners, our service providers, and certain third-party companies (such as our authorized dealers, distributors, local dealer associations, data brokers and other data providers). Information from such third parties may have been collected online, offline, or through publicly or commercially available sources. In addition, we may collect information from third parties in the ways described below:
- Requests to Third Parties. Third parties may provide your information to us at your request. For example, if you are on another website and you opt in to receive information from MTM, that website will submit to us your email address and other information about you so that we may contact you as requested.
- Third Party Applications and Websites; Social Media. You may also choose to participate in a third-party application or feature (such as one of our Facebook or Twitter applications or a similar application or feature on a third-party website) or use a third-party website where you allow us to collect (or the third party to collect and share) information about you, including online activity data and other Personal Information, such as lists of your friends, “likes,” comments you have shared, groups, location, and your activity on the third-party website. Services like Facebook Connect give you the option to post information about your activities on our Platforms to your profile page to share with others within your network. In addition, we may receive information about you if other users of a third-party website give us access to their profiles and you are one of their “connections” or information about you is otherwise accessible through your “connections'” web page, profile page, or similar page on a social networking or other third-party website or interactive service.
- Automatically From Your Devices: We may also collect the following types of Online Activity Data automatically when you use the Platforms:
- Usage Information. Whenever you visit or interact with the Platforms, we, as well as any third-party advertisers and/or service providers, may use a variety of technologies that automatically or passively collect information about how the Platforms are accessed and used (“Usage Information”). Usage Information may include browser type, device type, operating system, application version, the page served, the time, the preceding page views, and your use of features or applications on the Platforms, such as interactions with friends and group activities. This information helps us keep our Platforms fresh and interesting to our visitors and allows us to tailor content to a visitor’s interests. Usage Information is generally non-identifying, but if MTM associates it with you as a specific and identifiable person, MTM treats it as Personal Information.
- Device Identifier. We automatically collect your IP address or other unique identifier (“Device Identifier”) for the Device (computer, mobile phone, tablet or other device) you use to access the Platforms. A Device Identifier is a number that is assigned to your Device when you access a website or its servers, and our computers identify your device by its Device Identifier. We, and our affiliates, service providers, business partners, and other third parties, including authorized dealers, may use a Device Identifier to, among other things, administer the Platforms; help diagnose problems with our servers; analyze trends; track users’ web page movements over time and across different websites, Platforms, or other mobile, online, or offline services; to help identify you and your shopping cart, and gather broad demographic information for aggregate use.
- Cookies; Pixel Tags. The technologies used on the Platforms to collect Usage Information, including Device Identifiers, include but are not limited to: cookies (data files placed on a Device when it is used to visit the Platforms), mobile analytics software and pixel tags (transparent graphic images, sometimes called web beacons or tracking beacons, placed on a web page or in an email, which indicates that a page or email has been viewed). Cookies may also be used to associate you with social networking sites like Facebook and Twitter and, by using one of their applications either on or otherwise connected to our Platforms (e.g., social media login credentials or vehicle configuration shared to social media), you may enable interaction between your activities on the Platforms and your activities on such social networking sites. We, or our vendors, may place cookies or similar files on your Device for security purposes, to facilitate site navigation and to personalize your experience while visiting our Platforms (such as allowing us to select which ads or offers are most likely to appeal to you, based on your interests, preferences, location or demographic information). To customize your cookie settings for mazdatoyota.com, visit mazdatoyota.com and click on “Cookie Consent Options”.
3. HOW WE USE THE INFORMATION WE COLLECT
We use the information we collect about and from you for a variety of business purposes such as to:
- Respond to your questions and requests such as requests for product information, information alerts, and brochures, or to provide other customer support to you;
- Advise you of important safety-related information;
- Enable you to participate in promotional activities, or other programs;
- Provide you with access to certain areas and features of the Platforms such as your interactions with other users;
- Verify your identity;
- Communicate with you about your account and activities on the Platforms and, in our discretion, changes to any MTM policy or notice;
- Provide advertisements to you, including via electronic and physical means, and tailor any content, opportunities or other offers we serve you, including by providing more relevant content, advertisements, and offers over time and across multiple devices;
- Offer other products and services to you that you may be interested in;
- Internal research, design, marketing analysis, and analytics purposes, including to improve customer satisfaction and the Platforms, our products, and our services;
- Quality control purposes;
- Comply with laws or other legal obligations, including for dispute resolution purposes;
- Comply with license obligations;
- For purposes disclosed at the time you provide your Personal Information or otherwise with your consent.
- You may share your location with us and we may use it for the purpose of providing you with offers and other information relevant to your location.
4. HOW WE SHARE INFORMATION
Except as described here, we will not provide any of your Personal Information to any third parties without your specific consent. We may share non-Personal Information, such as aggregate data and Usage Information with third parties. We may also share your information as disclosed at the time you provide your information, as set forth in this Privacy Statement and in the following circumstances:
Third Parties Providing Services On Our Behalf. We may share your Personal Information with third parties that perform functions on our behalf (or on behalf of our partners) such as service providers that host or operate our Platforms, analyze data, process transactions and payments, fulfill orders or provide customer service; advertisers; sponsors or other third parties that participate in or administer our Programs or provide marketing or promotional assistance and “powered by” partners or partners in co-branded sites. Your Personal Information may also be used by us or shared with our subsidiaries, affiliates, sponsors, partners, advertisers or other third parties to provide you with product information and promotional and other offers.
Program Partners. If you choose to participate in a Program, your Personal Information may also be shared with our Program partners and may be used by our Program partners in accordance with their own privacy policies. This Privacy Statement will not apply to that company’s use of your information. Sometimes the rules, terms and conditions or disclaimers that apply to a particular Program (“Program Rules”) include additional information on how we may use the Personal Information that you provide to us through your participation in the Program. If there is a conflict between the Program Rules for a particular Program and this Privacy Statement, those applying to the particular Program will govern. Please review all of the information about a Program before you provide us with any Personal Information.
Our Affiliates and Parent Companies: We may share your Personal Information with our affiliates, including but not limited to Mazda Motor of America, Inc., Toyota Motor North America, Inc. or Lexus Financial Services, and our parent companies, Mazda Motor Corporation and Toyota Motor Corporation. This information is primarily shared for business and operational purposes. Our affiliates may also use that information in accordance with their own privacy policies, including to market to you if you indicate your interest in related products or services.
Our Dealers and Distributors: We may share your Personal Information with our authorized dealers and their holding companies, dealer advertising associations and distributors (including local dealer associations), who may use that information in accordance with their own privacy policies, including to provide you with services or to market to you. We may also combine information about your Platform visits and share this information with our authorized dealers and other entities to provide you with enhanced experiences across MTM-affiliated, -branded or similar MTM-related offerings and Platforms.
Business Transfers. In the event that MTM is involved in a bankruptcy, merger, acquisition, reorganization or sale of assets, your information may be sold or transferred as part of that transaction.
5. YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS, CHOICE AND ACCESS.
We provide you with choices with respect to your Personal Information. If you choose to receive e-mails from us about products and other information, we strive to keep your Personal Information updated and accurate and provide you choices regarding the e-mail communications you receive from us.
If you receive an e-mail, you may opt-out at any time by following the opt-out instructions provided in the e-mail you receive. Your opt-out request will be processed within 10 days of the date on which we receive it.
If you are participating in a Program, you may be able to access and update the information you provided as part of your participation in the Program. Please see the section of the Platforms concerning the specific Program to determine if you are able to access your information and how to do so.
In accordance with our routine record keeping, we may delete certain records that contain Personal Information you have submitted through the Platforms. We are under no obligation to store such Personal Information indefinitely and disclaim any liability arising out of, or related to, the destruction of such Personal Information. It may not always be possible to completely remove or delete all of your information from our databases without some residual data because of backups and other reasons. We will retain your information (including geo-location data) for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you services. We will retain and use your information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements. We do not control certain privacy settings and preferences maintained by our social media partners like Facebook and Twitter. If you wish to make changes to those settings and preferences, you may do so by visiting the settings page of the appropriate social media site.
If you are a Nevada resident, you may have the right to request that MTM stop selling certain or all of your Personal Information. You may submit a request by calling us at 256-85-5000. Once we receive your request and verify your identity, we will process your request as soon as feasibly possible and will also provide notification of your request to any third parties to whom we sold your personal information in the ninety (90) days prior to your request.
6. ADVERTISING/BEHAVIORAL TARGETING; HOW TO OPT OUT.
Certain web browsers may provide an option by which you may request your browser to inform websites you visit that you do not wish your activities to be tracked by cookies or other persistent identifiers, commonly called “Do Not Track Signals.” Although the websites we own and operate, including but not limited to mazdatoyota.com, currently do not respond to Do Not Track Signals, you may choose to opt out of our use of targeting and advertising cookies on mazdatoyota.com by visiting mazdatoyota.com and clicking on “Cookie Consent Options.” You may also choose to block cookies with your browser. Please note that opting out of the use of such cookies on mazdatoyota.com will not impact the use of third-party cookies by other websites, which we do not control. In addition, even if you choose to opt out of targeted advertising, you will still see advertisements while you’re browsing online. However, the advertisements you see may be less relevant to you and your interests.
The Platforms are not directed to children under 13. We do not knowingly collect, use or disclose personally identifiable information from anyone under 13 years of age. If we determine upon collection that a user is under this age, we will not use or maintain his/her Personal Information without the parent/guardian’s consent. If we become aware that we have unknowingly collected personally identifiable information from a child under the age of 13, we will make reasonable efforts to delete such information from our records.
8. SECURITY OF YOUR INFORMATION AND PHISHING SCAMS.
We take information security seriously and use certain reasonable security measures to help protect your Personal Information. However, no electronic data transmission or storage of information can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. Please note that we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us, and you use the Platforms and provide us with your information at your own risk. When we collect sensitive information on our sites or within our mobile application (such as credit card number or geo-location information), we encrypt the transmission of that information using secure socket layer technology.
Beware of Phishing Scams: There have been noticeable increases in the number of suspicious e-mails claiming that the e-mail recipient has won a MTM lottery or other promotion. Sometimes the e-mail claims that the recipient has won a new vehicle. In order to claim the prize, the e-mail asks that Personal Information be sent to a Gmail or Yahoo e-mail address.
This type of e-mail solicitation is known commonly as a “phishing” scam, with the primary objective being to obtain one’s Personal Information. This information can then be utilized to steal a person’s identity. For example, a “MTM Lottery” phishing scam is often sent from Chinese (.cn), German (.de) or British (.co.uk) addresses but can originate from anywhere and look very official even to the most savvy of Internet users. MTM will never ask you to send passwords, login names, Social Security numbers, or other Personal Information through e-mail or U.S. mail or fax or text message. If you receive an email or letter by U.S. mail or fax or text message from MTM asking you to update your credit card information, do not respond: this is a phishing scam. Recipients of suspicious e-mail like this should delete the message from their in-box and, if possible, update their e-mail filter settings to block e-mails from the e-mail address being used. The Federal Trade Commission and the Antiphishing Workgroup are also good sources of information about these types of security threats and how they may be reported to the authorities.
9. OTHER SITES.
The Platforms may contain links to other sites that we do not own or operate, such as the site for Mazda, Toyota or Lexus Financial Services and to sites for dealers, as well as links from advertisers, sponsors and/or partners. We do not control, recommend or endorse and are not responsible for these sites or their content, products, services or privacy policies or practices, even though they may use the MTM name or logo on their site through an agreement with us. These other sites may send their own cookies to your Device, they may independently collect data or solicit Personal Information and may or may not have their own published privacy policies. You should also independently assess the authenticity of any site which appears or claims that it is one of our Platforms (including those linked to through an email or social networking page).
The Platforms may make available chat rooms, forums, message boards, and news groups. Remember that any information that you disclose in these areas becomes public information and is not subject to the provisions of this Privacy Statement.
10. CONSENT TO PROCESSING AND TRANSFER OF INFORMATION.
The Platforms are governed by and operated in, and in accordance with the laws of, the United States, and are intended for the enjoyment of residents of the United States. MTM makes no representation that the Platforms are governed by or operated in accordance with the laws of any other nation. Given that MTM is an international business, our use of your information necessarily involves the transmission of data on an international basis. If you are located in the European Union, Canada or elsewhere outside of the United States, please be aware that information we collect may be transferred to and processed in the United States. By using the Platforms, or providing us with any information, you (a) acknowledge that the Platforms are subject to the laws of the United States, (b) consent to the collection, processing, maintenance and transfer of such information in and to the United States and other applicable territories in which the privacy laws may not be as comprehensive as or equivalent to those in the country where you reside and/or are a citizen, and (c) waive any claims that may arise under those laws.
We may update this Privacy Statement to reflect changes to our information practices. If we make any material changes, we will notify you by email (sent to the e-mail address specified in your account) or by means of a notice on our Platforms prior to the change becoming effective. We encourage you to periodically review this page for the latest information on our privacy practices.